Here is how you can make veg dum biryani on stove top (without oven).
If you like to cook in oven go to Chicken Biryani the process is same but add vegetable instead of chicken. If you like to cook in cooker go to Mushroom Biryani same process but add vegetable instead of mushrooms.
Method: Preparation of Veg curry:
- 1 cup of vegitables(Carrots, Mushrooms, Potatos, peas, beans, if you like add more vegtables)
- 2 cups/16 oz of Basmati Rice
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 7 Green chillies
- 1 large Tomato
- 1/2 cup of Curd
- 1 cup of Milk
- Saffron or Red food color
- 1/4 cup Corn oil
- 1 tsp of Olive oil
- 2 tbs cup Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tbs of Red chilli powder
- Salt to taste or 4 tsp
- 1/4 cup of Mint leaves
- 1/4 cup of Corionder leaves
- 1/2 tbs of Cumin powder
- 1/2 tbs of Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 4 Elachi/Cardamom
- 4 Biryani leaves
- 1 tsp of Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp of Black Jeera/Kala jeera/Shah jeera
- 1 count Mace/Javitri/Javentry
- 2 count Star Anise/Dagad Phool
Preparation of rice:
- Grind ginger and garlic cloves until paste.
- Slice vegetables into medium size, chop onions and green chillies and keep aside.
- Boil potatos with skin(don't peel skin) in a presure cooker until 2 whistles.
- Peel potato skin, cut into medium pieces and keep aside.
- Heat milk and add saffron until milk get evaporate and let it cool, then add curd and mix well.
- Heat oil in a curry bowl on medium heat.
- Then add cumin seeds, chopped small pieces of onions, mint leaves, green chillies and ginger garlic paste and fry untill onions are fry or brown color for about 10 minutes, stir now and then.
- Then add vegetabe pieces, milk and curd mixture, mix and cook for 6 minutes.
- Then add chopoped tomato pieces and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then add red chilli powder, salt, cloves, Cinnamon sticks, 2 biryani leaves, black Jeera, Star Anise, Javitri, elachi, black pepper and cumin powder and mix very well and cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat, stir every now and then.
- Then remove from stove.
Preparation of Veg Biryani:
- Soak rice for about 20 minutes.
- Then drain water and keep aside.
- Take 4 cups of water into a bowl, add 1 tsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of cumin seeds, 1 tsp of salt (taste the water to make sure you added enough salt), 2 biryani leaves and boil water very well.
- Once water is fully boiled, remove biryani leaves and then add rice.
- Now cook rice 80% (do NOT over cook), then drain water from rice and keep aside.
Thanks for watching!
- Take a large cooking bowl and apply/spray some oil all over the bowl inner side.
- Keep some rice into bowl and then keep some veg curry, repeate this to make multiple layers.
- Now spread 5 black pepper seeds, 1/4 tbs black jeera, 2 biryani leaves, 4 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick (for good smell) on top of the rice.
- Close the bowl with clean wet cloth then put weight bowl on top to make sure steam does not come out.
- Now keep stove on low heat and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Then remove from the stove.
- Your veg dum biryani is ready to serve.
- You may serve with raita